The Complete Guide to Social Media Image Sizes
Social media is an important tool for marketing and promoting a brand. However, in order to attract users’ attention and make the content more attractive, it’s necessary to consider the correct image sizes for each platform.
Our team has created a small guide on social media image sizes, such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
Instagram image sizes
- Instagram profile picture size: 110 x 110 px
- Instagram post size 2023 (Tape/Carousel): 1080 x 1080 (1:1), vertical photo size on Instagram: 1080 x 1350 (3:4) px (minimum 320 px wide, maximum 4096 x 4096 px)
- Instagram Story size: 1080 x 1920 px
- Instagram video format (IGTV): 420 x 654 px (minimum 420 x 420 px). Vertical video IGTV: 1080 x 1920 px (minimum 720 px wide). Horizontal video IGTV: 1920 x 1080 px (minimum 720 px tall)
- Instagram Reels size: 1080 x 1920 px
As of 2023, in the Instagram post carousel, you can publish both images and videos simultaneously (max of 10 files). When publishing multiple files in a carousel, all of them are automatically cropped to the same resolution as the first image in the carousel.
On Instagram, it is possible to post pictures in PNG, JPG, and BMP format, weighing up to 30 MB.
Facebook image sizes
- Facebook profile picture size: 180 x 180 px (minimum 160 x 160 px)
- Facebook cover photo: 820 x 312 px
- Facebook Publication: 1200 x 630, 1200 х 1200, 1080 х 1080 (maximum 2048 x 2048 px)
- Facebook Stories: 1080 х 1920 px (9:16)
Due to updates from Meta, the image sizes on Facebook often change. You can keep track of these changes in the Help section of Facebook.
You can use any of the following supported image formats for Facebook: PNG, JPG, HIEC, BMP.
Twitter photo dimensions
- Twitter picture size: 400 x 400 px (maximum 2 Мb)
- Twitter header size: 1500 x 500 px (maximum 5 Мb)
- Twitter post size: 1024 x 512 px (minimum 600 х 335 px, maximum 5 Мb)
- Picture in comments: 1200 x 600 px (maximum 5 Мb)
- Citation picture: 1200 x 675 px (maximum 5 Мb)
- Carousel Twitter: 1200 x 800 px (maximum 15 Мb)
- GIF-animation Twitter: до 15 Мb
Twitter accepts JPEG, GIF, and PNG file formats.
For tweets with a single image, the ideal aspect ratio is 16:9.
A tweet with one image has an ideal aspect ratio of 16:9. A tweet with two images will be displayed with an aspect ratio of 7:8 each, with two images next to each other. A tweet with three images will be displayed as follows: on the left, one image with an aspect ratio of 7:8, and on the right, two images with an aspect ratio of 4:7. Tweets with four photos are displayed at a scale of 2:1 each.
Image Specifications for LinkedIn Pages
- LinkedIn profile photo size: 400 × 400 px (minimum 268 x 268 px, maximum 3 Мb).
- LinkedIn cover size: 1584 × 396 px (maximum 8 Мb)
- LinkedIn profile photo size: 300 x 300 px (maximum 3 Мb)
- LinkedIn cover size: 1536 x 768 px (maximum 8 Мb)
- LinkedIn post image size: 1080 х 1080, 1200 x 1200 px (minimum 200 px, maximum 15 Мb)
- Carousel LinkedIn: 1080 x 1080 px (maximum size 10 pictures, maximum 10 Мb for each image).
LinkedIn accepts PNG, JPEG, and GIF file formats.
YouTube image specifications
- YouTube channel logo size: 800 х 800 px (minimum 98 x 98 px, maximum 4 Мb)
- Templates hat: 2560 x 1440 px (maximum 6 Мb)
- YouTube thumbnail size: 1280 x 720 px (minimum 640 x 360 px, maximum 2 Мb)
YouTube size video
YouTube supports videos in various resolutions, including 720p, 1080p, and 4K. You can upload videos with lower resolutions, but it is preferable to use high-quality videos for a better viewer experience.
Best image sizes and formats for social media
The listed social networks use many different types of content and ad formats, so image sizes may vary depending on the specific use case. The sizes listed above are universal.
When creating images, it’s important to remember that they will be displayed differently on various devices – on desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones, and TVs.
For best results, we recommend using a JPG or PNG file. However, it’s important to keep in mind that a wide-format PNG image will always be larger in file size than JPG. Therefore, for creating a cover image or post, we recommend selecting images in PNG format, and for a profile picture, JPG is recommended.
Please make sure that your images comply with the specified sizes so that they look their best on the relevant platforms. It is important to remember that well-chosen image sizes can make your content more attractive to your audience, which directly affects brand promotion.